Friday, July 1, 2011

Week 5, Blog #3 Reflection

1)    
      
      What were some of your initial expectations about this class?  How were your initial expectations confirmed or how did they change over the course of the semester?

I knew that the class would involve youth topics but since this is my first justice class I wasn’t really sure how the class would be oriented. I was pleasantly surprised, shocked, and disturbed by the information that I was exposed to. It was necessary though. I feel really informed and appreciate the amount of work needed for completion of this course.  I know if I earn an A in this class I worked for it!
Given the various topics we've covered in the class, explain what you think is the most pressing issue facing youth today. Why is this particular issue such a major one? 

It’s difficult because there are so many issues facing today’s youth. One’s struggle is not less important than the others.  The issue that bothered me most significantly was the overall poverty that is taking place in South East Asia and Africa. It affects so many facets of the economy and causes them to have to make choices that many of us in developed countries don’t have a second thought about.  I’m glad to know that there are some organizations in place but it affects billions of people. It’s an overwhelming task.

Going back to the initial blog post question:(how old is 15?) How has your understanding of youth development changed (if at all)?  What ideas have been confirmed for you?  What ideas were new? 

I had no idea about the child soldiers in Uganda. I was unaware of the sex trafficking statistics in not only other countries but our own. My understanding has drastically opened into a new realm of child suffering. It’s almost difficult to sleep at night knowing the injustices facing children. I’d gather to say that this course could be titled “Youth and Injustice”.  I still believe that there is a maturation that faces children going through adult circumstances but nevertheless they are indeed children. Then after reading about 19 year old killers, I’ve begun to broaden my ideal of what age adulthood really may begin at? I’m feeling that even though children are resilient they are in fact still children.

Feel free to post any other observations, comments, questions suggestions, etc. about the various topics we've covered on your blogs!

The topics are really timely and woven well together. I think that everyone going into a field where children are the primary population (regardless of major) should take this class.  It’s indeed very well-rounded and the information is not only astounding but enthralling to say the least.


Just a side note…There were only four questions. The numbering listed 1, 2, 3, and 5.  Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment